Saturday, September 6, 2008

McCain ticket claims to be for "Change"

Back in 2000, when I was in my teens still and campaigned on campus for Gore, I knew in my heart bad things were in store for a (then) potential Bush America. It wasn't just the liberal in me, it was a genuine premonition. In 2004, as I sat watching the map of Ohio broken down into counties on TV, I knew again good things were not in store. All the while I read many accounts of Diebold voting machines, and other "irregularities." I wondered what it was going to take to get the Republicans out of Washington.

Although Barak Obama is not my personal first choice to head the Democratic ticket, I stand behind him and my party fully. When I hear on the news about a Colorado Springs McCain/Palin rally in which they claim they are the agents to bring change to Washington, what Obama has been saying all along, I stop and ask myself, "Have either McCain or Palin apologized for the Bush administration and all of the bad things that have happened in this country over the past 8 years? Have they named specific things that they plan to change? Have they shared their vision of what America will be like 4 years from now? How do they plan to really change this country when their party dominated the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches of the Federal government over the past 6 of 8 years? Have the rest of the GOP signed on for this supposed change?"
I think it would be appropriate here to list Bush's 2000 and 2004 campaign promises, yet I am going to refrain to avoid getting really upset. Could McCain and Palin be better at getting votes than running government? Could this all be a ploy, as they pander to the center and then return to business as usual once (potentially) elected? And, can we, as Americans, as we discuss a bailout of Fannie and Freddie (with preferred stock as part of the bailout since it is held by banks) afford to be mislead and sold a false bill of goods by the GOP for the third Presidential election in a row?
Palin, attractive or not, doesn't have a record of real reform. There has been no talk of overturning the Bankruptcy laws, part of what is stifling innovation and preventing new wealth creation. There has been no talk of Bush's war on science, and how without scientific innovation, America is at a disadvantage. There is a scene in the movie, "Wall Street" in which Bud's boss Lou Manheim tells him that the money he makes for his clients gets invested in science and research, and creates jobs for people. Bud responds that one needs to get rich first, and then they can be a pillar and do good things. Have the Republicans forgoten what they even stand for? Do they exist now to wreck the economy and support the Christian right?
The last legacy of the Bush admin will be the "too big to fail" trend in the financials. First, Bear Stearns. Now, Fannie and Freddie. The CEO's of Fannie and Freddie took home a combined $30M last year in compensation. So, they effectively overpaid themselves instead of appropriately doing their jobs, and now the taxpayers have to clean up the mess. Bearish US$? You bet. Will they be asked to repay their salaries for the past 3 years towards the public liability of saving their enterprises? Or will they retire with their millions unscathed while our tax dollars bail out their companies? This is the kind of change I would like to hear talked about from McCain and Palin. I would like to hear some admission of the GOP's many wrongdoings. Don't you?

No comments: